Recent research in my laboratory has involves human blood proteins involved in coagulation and in iron homeostasis. Using molecular genetic techniques, we have expressed recombinant forms of many human proteins in bacteria, yeast and mammalian cells. By using in vitro mutagenesis, we have studied structural-functional relationships in many of these proteins.
In collaboration with local hematologists including Drs. Carter, Wadsworth, Wu, Jackson, Au and Zypchen, we have studied the molecular basis of inherited disorders of hemostasis. Past studies include patients with bleeding problems (such as hemophilia), individuals who clot too much (thrombophilia) and individuals with hemoglobinopathies.
My laboratory has also studied proteins involved in iron absorption and transport including transferrin, hephaestin and ferroportin.
Lastly, in collaboration with Dr. Scott Dunbar (Mining Engineering, UBC), we have applied biotechnology approaches to mineral processing.
PLEASE NOTE THAT DR MACGILLIVRAY PLANS TO RETIRE IN DECEMBER 2017 AND IS NOT ACCEPTING ANY MORE SCIENTISTS INTO HIS RESEARCH LABORATORY
1. Hewitt, J., Chou, E., Brown, L.A., Smith, V.C., Yong, S-L., Wadsworth, L.D., Wu, J. and MacGillivray, R.T.A. Molecular characterization of a 4,409,480 bp deletion of the human X chromosome in a patient with haemophilia B. Hemophilia 20, e230-234 (2014)
2. Bauer, N., Smith, V.C. Smith, MacGillivray, R.T.A. and Panak, P.J. Complexation of Cm(III) with the recombinant N-lobe of human serum transferrin studied by Time-Resolved Laser Fluorescence Spectroscopy (TRLFS) Dalton Trans. 44:1850-1857 (2015)
3. Curtis, S.B., Lederer, F.L., Dunbar, W.S. and MacGillivray, R.T.A. Identification of mineral-binding peptides that discriminate between chalcopyrite and enargite. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 114, 998-1005 (2017)
4. Lederer, F.L., Curtis, S.B., Bachmann, S., Dunbar, W.S. and MacGillivray, R.T.A. Identification of lanthanum-specific peptides for future recycling of rare earth elements from compact fluorescent lamps. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 114, 1016-1024 (2017)
5. Smith, T.W., Carter, I.S.R., Smith, V.C., Carter, C.J. and MacGillivray, R.T.A. Identification of two novel mutations associated with combined protein C and protein S deficiency. Vasc. Dis. Therapeut. In press (2017)