Frequently Asked Questions

Third Year Students

1.  What courses do I need to take in third year?

The required courses for third and fourth year are outlined in the calendar. Of the courses listed, BIOC 301, BIOC 303, BIOC 304, and BIOL 335 MUST be completed in your third year.

2.  Do I need to take all the 300-level Chemistry courses in my third year?

No, and indeed many students aren’t able to do so due to enrollment restrictions in some of the courses.

3.  What courses should I take as electives?

The elective requirements are indicated in the calendar. There are several types of elective requirements which you may need to fulfill for your graduation.

  • Arts electives credits are courses within the Faculty of Arts — students will typically need to complete 12 credits of Arts electives in addition to the 6 credits of 100-level English/Science stipulated.
  • Breadth elective (for students in the majors program) are credits in the Faculties of Arts or Science which fall outside the field of the Major. For Biochem this means that all biochemistry, biology, chemistry, and microbiology courses, plus courses offered for science credit by departments in the Faculty of Medicine, are NOT breadth credits.
  • Upper year electives are 300 or 400-level courses. Upper year electives may be double counted with either Arts or Breadth electives provided they are appropriate courses.
  • Biochemistry electives (Honours programs only) are chosen from the list supplied on the calendar page.
  • Please note: IHHS and FNH courses are offered by their own faculties and as such are not Arts or Science credits!

4.  If I am not able to register into BIOC 301 in my third year, can I take it in my fourth year?

No, this course must be taken in your third year.

5.  If I am having difficulty in my courses due to outside factors (emotional, physical, family-related, etc. ), what should I do?

The best place to start would be to contact UBC Science Advising. They are best positioned to help you accommodate any difficulties.

6.  Interested in getting some research experience? What options are available?

The Science Co-op program is an excellent way to gain research experience. Students apply to the program at the beginning of their third year and, in recent years, about half of our Biochemistry Undergraduates have participated. Other options include work-studies, directed studies courses (Bioc 448/449) or volunteering in a research lab.


Fourth Year Students

7.  Do Honours students need to take 30 credits in the last winter session if fewer credits are required to graduate?

In the last year of study, if all requirements will be satisfied, then students do not need to take 30 credits to remain in the honours program.

8.  I wish to take BIOC 448; however, I am unable to register for this course. What do I do?

To register in this course you must submit an application form to the course coordinator. See the UBC Calendar for information regarding BIOC 448. The application form can be found here.

9.  Is the Honours or Majors program a better program for me?

Both programs are excellent; however, which one is best for you depends on your ambitions. Those interested in research are strongly encouraged to be in the Honours program. For those looking to broaden their educational experience and have flexibility, the Majors program is best.

10.  Does the department arrange/match 448 or 449 supervisors and students?

No, students must arrange their own 448/449 supervisor. A list of faculty and their research interests can be found here. Please contact the faculty member whom you are interested in to discuss possible 448/449 projects in their lab.