Faculty Onboarding

Resources to get started at the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology as Faculty

Resources and fast facts on general University matters.

  • About UBC: An overview of UBC’s vision, values, and resources for all members of the UBC community.
  • Academic calendar: A comprehensive guide to all programs, courses, services, and academic policies at UBC Vancouver.
  • Faculty & staff directory: UBC staff and faculty contact information.
  • UBC Faculty Association: This association promotes the interests of UBC faculty, upholds UBC faculty's academic freedom, and supports an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment.
  • Strategic Plan: UBC's collective vision, purpose, goals and strategies for the years ahead including initiatives like Focus on People.
  • Respectful Environment: Guiding principles that support an environment of respect, civility, diversity, opportunity and inclusion at UBC.
  • Sustainability: Information on sustainability programs and activities including Sustainability Action Plans, policies, regional and international engagement, campus tours, courses, fellowships, programs, research collections, student groups, and ways to get involved.
  • Virtual campus tour: Key locations on campus.

Resources from UBC’s Human Resources and Planning departments as well as federal, provincial, and local governments.

Health Care

Before B.C's Medical Services Plan benefits begin, new (and returning) residents are required to complete a wait period consisting of the balance of the month in which residence in British Columbia is established, plus two months. We highly recommend purchasing private coverage for this period. Please find more details: Coverage Wait Period and information about Insurance during MSP waiting period.

Work Permit
Foreign Faculty members are required to apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a Work Permit in Canada. The Immigration Process for Foreign faculty on the Faculty Relations website outlines the steps involved in obtaining a temporary work permit and Social Insurance Number (SIN). It also provides information on what is expected after the foreign faculty arrive at UBC.

Please visit the Faculty Relations website for complete information on topics such as:

  • Work Permit
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
  • Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Where and how to apply for your visa/permit
  • Permit for accompanying dependents
  • Implied Status and how it affects MSP coverage

Prior to your departure, please prepare the following documents and present them at the port of entry:

  1. Valid Work Permit approval letter: This letter is provided by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) once they approve your worker status in Canada.
  2. Employer support letter explaining the urgent and essential nature of the job in Canada: Our HR Manager, Mark Mendoza will contact you to create this letter.
  3. Signed Offer Letter
  4. 14-day self isolation plan

Resource for Self Isolation Resource PackagesPlease read, sign and return the form to ubcfrel-g-admin@mail.ubc.ca and Immigration.Help@ubc.ca. prior to your departure

Work Permit

Foreign faculty members should receive their work permit at the port of entry. Please submit a copy of your work permit to our HR Manager, Mark Mendoza immediately so he can process your appointment.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. All employees are required by Service Canada to present their SIN card to their employer within three days of starting work.

For more information about obtaining a Social Insurance Number, visit the Service Canada website.

Health Care

B.C's Medical Services Plan is mandatory for all B.C. residents.

For information about MSP and how to enroll: BC Medical Services Plan

*New (and returning) residents are required to complete a wait period consisting of the balance of the month in which residence in British Columbia is established, plus two months before benefits can begin. Please find more details: Coverage Wait Period and information about Insurance during MSP waiting period

Find a physician for you and your family: College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC

Find a dentist in your area: BC Dental Association

Hospitals in Vancouver and the Lower mainland

Taxation in Canada/BC - Income Tax

While at UBC, any earnings received are considered Canadian income, unless otherwise indicated by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) in writing prior to arrival.

Please note that, by law, deductions are taken from your salary for Canada Income Tax, Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Employment Insurance (EI). If you receive fellowship earnings, these will not be deducted for CPP and EI.

Please contact a financial advisor or the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for tax and financial information.

You can also access the CRA website for a self-directed online course on understanding taxes, which includes help on how to file a tax return.

If you have any questions about paying income tax in Canada, please refer to CRA’s information for non-residents or contact the International Tax Services Office (collect calls are accepted):

  • Calling from Canada and the U.S.: 1 800 267 5177
  • Calling from outside Canada and the US: 1 613 952 3741
  • Fax: 1 613 941 2505

Get information about taxable benefits related to UBC housing programs.

Banking and Credit Cards

There are a number of banking institutions and branches for you to choose from in British Columbia. Several banks are located near UBC's Vancouver campus, including:

Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) can be found on campus and throughout Vancouver.

Campus Wide Login (CWL) Account

CWL Sign-up allows you to create a unique login name and password. A CWL and password are required to access your UBC email and a variety of UBC's online applications.

If you do not have a Campus Wide Login (CWL) Account, please sign up immediately: CWL Sign-up

You will need your employee ID to sign up for your CWL. When your appointment is complete in Workday, Mark Mendoza will notify you of your employee ID.

As soon as you obtain a CWL, please apply for a UBC card for access to the buildings and labs.

Building and Lab Access

Please ensure to sign up for Campus Wide Login (CWL) Account and apply for UBC Card, so our staff, Naz Khan (Naz.Khan@ubc.ca) can grant you access to our building and lab.

UBC Email

Once your CWL has been created, please contact our IT Manager, Metha Kijsawangwong: metha.kij@ubc.ca

He will assist you in creating your UBC email account.

Your first days at UBC

  • Your first days at UBC: Resources to assist you as you settle into your new role at UBC
  • New to UBC Vancouver Resource Hub: This UBC employee orientation hub is a self-directed resource and learning space to assist new faculty and staff in navigating UBC. Regardless of your specific role, this resource hub is designed to support you during your first few months at UBC. (Canvas access required)

Questions? If you have questions or need help in your first days and weeks at UBC, contact Sara Sawatzky at workplace.orientations@ubc.ca

Please visit our IT Support page for more information regarding onboarding: UBC BMB - IT Support

As a new employee, a number of courses are mandatory to meet WorkSafeBC and UBC requirements: UBC Safety & Risk Services

You will find the following mandatory training and surveys in your Workday - Sign in

Mandatory Health & Safety Training for All Workers 

  • Preventing COVID-19 Infection in the Workplace
  • New Worker Safety Orientation
  • Preventing and Addressing Workplace Bullying and Harassment Training
  • Workplace Violence Prevention Training

Mandatory Privacy & Information Security Fundamentals Training for all Workers

  • Privacy & Information Security Fundamentals Training Part 1 & 2


  • Employment Equity & Inclusion Survey
  • Recruiting Experience Survey

Lab Safety Training

You will be notified and instructed by our staff, Naz Khan: Naz.Khan@ubc.ca

What training is required for working in a lab?

Once your appointment is complete in our HR system (Workday) will navigate you to enrol in the benefits you are eligible for.

  • Benefit plan details: Information on BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), dental, extended health, health spending account, employee & family assistance program, life insurance, long-term disability plan, vacation and leaves, benefits while traveling, tuition waiver, and retirement & survivor benefits.
  • Faculty Pension Plan (FPP): Information on the FPP, an independent trust to help save and invest for the future.
  • Vacation and leaves of absence: Information on different types of paid and unpaid leaves.

Questions?: Contact Benefits

Professional Development Funds

  • Professional Development Fund: The Professional Development Reimbursement (PDR) fund is a University program intended to provide financial assistance for professional development expenses. These expenses must relate to activities that enhance the performance, ability, or effectiveness of a Member’s work at the University.
  • Tuition Waivers: As a faculty member, you and your dependent family members may be eligible to take many courses without paying some or all of the tuition fee.

Professional Development Resources

UBC card

A UBC card identifies you as an active student, faculty or staff member.

UBC cards grant you access to:
  • UBC Library privileges
  • Building access and access to card-controlled rooms
  • UBC Bookstore e-Money purchases
  • Food Services' dining convenience and discounts
  • Meal plans for Housing residents
  • Athletics facilities

Apply for a UBC Card: Apply Online

You will need to pick it up from the key desk at the back of the Bookstore.

Library Card

  • Your UBC card is your library card.
  • Obtain your card from the UBC Access Desk
  • A valid UBC card is required to borrow books and use library services.
  • A valid UBC CWL account is required to access library eResources.

Biosafety Certificate

Biosafety: Any activities conducted at UBC facilities or affiliated institutions that involve biohazardous materials must be reviewed and approved by the UBC Biosafety Committee prior to the start of the research project. Applications for review and certification by the Biosafety Committee must be submitted electronically on RISe. UBC Safety and Risk Services provides technical expertise to researchers working with biohazardous materials, provides biosafety training, and reviews all procedures and facilities involving biohazardous materials.

For assistance with applying for or obtaining a biosafety certificate, or with questions about the Biosafety Committee, contact:

  • Suzanne Richardson, Manager, Animal Care, Biosafety & Radiation Safety Committees (604-827-5111)
  • Fred Woo, Assistant Manager, Animal Care, Biosafety & Radiation Safety Committees (604-827-5115)
  • Janet Hankins, Biological & Radiation Safety Advisor, Safety & Risk Services (604-822-4353)

  • UBC ORS: Office of Research Services (ORS) provides administrative support to UBC’s research community
  • UBC UILO: University-Industry Liaison Office (UILO) provides assistance with research collaboration and innovation partnerships between researchers and industry, government and non-profit organizations
  • Mednet Research Resources: Faculty of Medicine's Research Resources for funding opportunities and deadlines, application deadlines and procedures, grant writing support and resources, and research-related policies
  • Research Orientation UBC: Information about research orientation day, New Faculty Lunch and transferring research funding
  • Research Finance: Research Finance provides financial administrative support to the research community, focusing on financial reporting, billing & collections, training and compliance
  • RISe: For submitting applications and track them through to approval, certification or awarding of funds
  • Research Project Information Form (RPIF): RPIF to download and guidance

For general departmental research assistance, please contact our Research Administrative Assistant, Naz Khan and Budget Analyst, Ruby Chang.

  • Finance: Information related to financial activity at UBC including payroll, procure to pay, budgeting and reporting, banking and leases, year end, financial resources for Workday, and tax and services levy.
  • Research Finance: Research Finance provides financial administrative support to the research community, focusing on financial reporting, billing & collections, training and compliance
  • UBC Funding Resources: Resources to help researchers find and prepare for available funding opportunities
  • UBC Procure to Pay: For buying and paying for goods, services and construction to asset disposal.
  • Expenditure Guidelines: Resources to help you determine reasonable and appropriate expenses while conducting university business.

For assistance, please contact;

Please submit the New Employee Form to Marc Betsayda (for Students and Research Staff Appointment) or Mark Mendoza (for Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Research Associates Appointments).

Advertisement is required for research technician and research associate positions for a term of one year or more in length. Please consult with Mark Mendoza and provide him with the detailed information about the position (period of the position, salary, job duties, full-time/part-time etc).

Please refer to the advertising guidelines for more information.

For general HR assistance, please contact Mark Mendoza (HR Manager).

For assistance, please contact our Graduate Program Coordinator, Doris Metcalf.

  • UBC Wellbeing: Find resources for wellbeing strategic framework, tools and workshops.
  • UBC Recreation: Find information about how to stay active at home, fitness classes and general wellness
  • UBC HR Webpage: Find information about Staff and faculty mental health resources and how to get support

Canvas Courses (CWL access required)

Faculty members employed at UBC on a work permit are required to renew their work permits prior to the expiry of their current work permit if their appointment is to continue beyond the expiry of their current work permit.

There are normally two ways in which foreign academics can obtain a temporary work permit: under a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption, or  through an LMIA.

Faculty Relations arranges for all LMIAs or LMIA exemptions for tenure stream faculty. LMIA exemptions may be granted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in specific circumstances, such as a work permit granted for an accompanying spouse, or a post graduation work permit granted to a recent graduate of a Canadian university.

A positive LMIA must be obtained for all other foreign academics. The LMIA is an opinion provided by Service Canada to IRCC (and the employer), which assesses the likely impact that hiring a foreign academic may have on the Canadian labour market.

Please visit the Faculty Relations website for complete information on topics such as:

  • Work Permit
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Implied Status
  • Work Permit Renewal and MSP coverage

How to apply for a Work Permit: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) webpage

Please visit the UBC HR Immigration page for:

  • Immigration Steps for foreign nationals
  • Permanent Residency
  • Citizenship

For immigration inquiries including information on work permit and permanent residence applications, please email Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) at immigration.help@ubc.ca

Please make sure to provide the following information:

  • Your name, UBC position and start date
  • Your citizenship(s)
  • Your country of residence
  • All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)